by Rosalee de la Forêt
Chocolate lovers can celebrate this exceptionally dark chocolate mousse cake. Each bite slowly melts in your mouth while the cardamom spice enlivens the senses. This is my family’s go-to dessert recipe for potlucks, and we’ve been asked for the recipe countless times. If you don’t have a double boiler, fill a pot with 1 to 2 inches of water and place a tight-fitting bowl over the top.
Yield: 1 9-inch cake, approximately 16 small servings (or 8 large servings)
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup cocoa powder (plus extra, for garnish)
1 (13.5-oz.) can coconut milk
1 tablespoon cardamom powder
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
sliced almonds, for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
2. Put 1 to 2 inches of water in the bottom pan of a double boiler. Melt the bittersweet chocolate and coconut oil in the top.
3. When they are melted, remove from the heat. Add the honey and cocoa powder and mix well.
4. Add the coconut milk and mix well.
5. Whisk the eggs in a small bowl. Add the whisked eggs, cardamom, and vanilla extract to the chocolate mixture and combine well.
6. Pour the mixture into a slightly oiled 9-inch pie pan.
7. Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
8. When the cake is done, the top should be cracked but the middle should still be soft and wiggly.
9. Cool overnight to allow it to set. Sprinkle with sliced almonds, if desired.
10. Sprinkle some cocoa powder on top before serving.
Recipe from Alchemy of Herbs: Transform Everyday Ingredients into Foods and Remedies That Heal by Rosalee de la Forêt (Hay House, 2017)
Rosalee de la Forêt, RH, is passionate about helping people discover the world of herbalism and natural health. She is a Registered Herbalist with the American Herbalist Guild and the Education Director at LearningHerbs. She is also the author of the online courses, The Taste of Herbs and Herbal Cold Care. When she is not immersed in herbs, you can find her taking photos of nature, kayaking with her husband, or curled up in a hammock with a good book.